Friday, May 23, 2008

Barb's Quilt

The quilt currently on my frame (and being used as a kitty hammock) is the one I have been making for my sister. I have been working on it for almost three years.... Every time she comes for a visit I get THE QUESTION - Is my quilt done yet?
Nope, not yet.
But I keep plugging away, little bits at a time. The pattern is from Australian Patchwork and Quilting Magazine, and it's called My Blue Heaven. It's a sampler quilt, with both fused applique and pieced blocks. There are 22 different blocks surrounded by borders of 2" squares. Half of the applique I machine stitched the edges, however, that's a LOT harder and more time consuming than it looks, so I finally gave up and finished the rest with a hand blanket stitch.
So far I have managed to SID around each block to stabilize the quilt and now I'm working on the individual blocks.
Block # 1 - McTavishing for the background and stipple in the multi-coloured squares. I took the picture before I finished the bottom two squares.... DUH .....



Block #2 - straight forward star block, SID on all the seams and small stipple in the center.
I'll post more blocks as I go along, but of course I have been SIDE-TRACKED..... The Pajama Quilter Reloaded DVD came in the mail this week so last night I had to go out and buy a whiteboard to practice on. I need to learn to do those freehand flowers she does. My excuse is that it's a sampler quilt.... I can't quilt everything the same.... as much as I like McTavishing, I don't wan't to do the whole quilt that way..... There's a load of stuff on the DVD I want to try. Oh well, what's one more little delay in the ongoing saga of this quilt....


2 comments:

Hazel said...

This quilt will be beautiful when you are finished I love the color .Let us know what you think of the Pajama Quilter .

Amelia said...

This is defintely going to be a beauty when completed...sure do like the color combination.

Have a fun safe weekend!

Amelia in Oklahoma