Friday, June 6, 2008

My deep Thought for the Day .... (not that I have many)

I ran out to the local fastfood restaurant near work for lunch today (yeah, I know.... bad girl...) and the the young man at the the drive thru window opens the window and says "Hello Laura's Mom". Just the way he said it reminded me of when Laura was a baby, with many an ear infection, and the Pharmacist (who saw me on a fairly regular basis) would greet me as "Laura's Mom". Over the years I cannot count how many times I have been introduced or referred to as "Laura's Mom" (insert Meagan and Tyler here as well) or "Karl's Wife".

Most of the time I don't even notice, but once in a while I think I should wear a name tag that says "Hello, my name is TRISH". I spend the majority of my time being someone's Mom or wife and I love it, but every now and then I want to be ME. This I why I love quilting, because I do it just for ME. While my husband and kids smile and nod when I show off my quilts, they don't really care.... it's just something that keeps Mom in a good mood (assuming my corners meet, of course), and I like it that way. I very seldom give myself deadlines with my quilting, and I don't feel guilty for my big pile of unfinished or not-started projects. Quilting, for me, is both relaxing and challenging at the same time, but most importantly, it's all MINE.

That was my deep thought for the day....

Now, for the frivolous side of life:

Watching Sports Fan play baseball last night with his big sister BoyCrazy and she starts telling me about her day at school (keep in mind, this girl only thinks about: school, going to university in the fall, and boys, and not necessarily in that order)

BoyCrazy: the best thing happened today, the really smart boy in my English class thinks I'M smart, too.

Me: the one you think is so cute?

BoyCrazy: Yep. He's smart and really cute. Today he said that he's thinks I'm smart because of something I said in English (the girl is practically glowing 'cause this boy complimented her in class - remind you of anyone? see yesterday's post)

Me: I can top that. Someone in my quilt guild thinks my quilting is as good as Cheryl's, and she's an AWARD WINNING quilter, how's that for impressive....

BoyCrazy: Let's see.... "smart, cute boy" vs "quilting" ..... hmmm.... (rolls her eyes) ..... NOT EVEN CLOSE.....

4 comments:

Amelia said...

That was one of those

"Oh Mother"

moments from your daughter...just enjoy them - she will be gone from home very soon - they grow up so fast.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I'm so with you on so many levels. I've got a 15 year old daughter and she's got that eye rolling syndrome. I wish I could have them somehow fixed so that she couldn't do that. No luck. One the flip side, I'm very impressed with your quilting skills. Not that I'm anyone important......just ask my daughter....hehehehhee

Connie said...

That is a good deep thought--your saying that you quilt just for you really resonates with me! One of my dear friends says that women are constantly having to reinvent themselves--from single women to being married, from no kids to being a mom, from having a career to (for some) being a stay-at-home mom. Quilting is a constant that isn't impacted by all the other shifts that we make in our lives. Thank heaven for quilting!

Cara said...

Lordy do I know what you mean about wanting to be YOU for a little while. My dd is at the age where I even end up introducing myself as her mom.