Monday, September 8, 2008

Skydiving ....

Yes, my crazy husband and my friend Sue actually jumped out of a perfectly good airplane..... The first picture is DH coming in to land, and the second picture is Sue right after she and her partner landed. Her hubby and I watched from the ground and just shook our heads.....








I decided to finish quilting Laura's Quilt on Sunday and wouldn't you know it, my quilting machine stopped working. The top thread wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread. I was not happy..... I tried everything, changed the needle, changed bobbins, cleaned it, oiled it, etc. Finally I gave up, very unhappy with my machine. So Monday I call the techie at HandiQuilter and explained the problem to him and it took him less than five minutes to figure out that I had the needle in backwards.... ARRGGGHHHH.... Can you say senile???













So I finished it last night (after making a diagram of how to insert the needle for future reference!)

And finally, finished at last, the quilt top now officially known as "Not Ugly". I am VERY happy with how it turned out, I love the colours and the fabrics.

Originally I was going to name it "Skunk in a Blender" as in "What's black and white and red allover?" hee hee.... but I changed my mind this weekend...













The story goes like this:

I have been collecting black/red/white fat quarters for about a year to make a quilt for my daughter's bedroom (red walls, black trim). I finally found a pattern I liked and started cutting the fabric for it last month.....

MaterialGirl walks by and says "you're not making that for me, are you? Because I don't want a quilt for my room".

Me: "Since when?"

MGirl: "I just don't. I like the comforter I have".

Me: "Oh. OK. I'll give it someone else when I'm done"

A month later, I'm in the kitchen (AKA my sewing room) putting the borders on it and she walks in.....

MGirl: "That looks nice".

Me: "Thank you. Who do you think I should give it to?"

MGirl: "What? It's my quilt, you said you were making it for me!"

Me (with dumb look on my face): "Ummm, you said you didn't want a quilt for your room ...."


MGirl: "Well, yeah, but I thought it was going to be ugly ......"

7 comments:

Moneik said...

I love it! I think most kids are that way, I don't want it, but if it's cool I'll change my mind. I am ready to start cutting my fabrics out tonight. I can't wait! Thank you again for making my week.

Jen said...

What quilt pattern is that? I like it! It's similar to blue undergrounds in and out.

the story about your daughter made me laugh. You should wrap it up and give it to someone else and teach her a lesson. (kidding)

Jen said...

OH, I knwo what I wanted to say. I had my needle in wrong years ago. I was SOOOO embarassed to go pick up my machine. I put it in the closet for months and didn't touch it.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Yep...that's a kid for ya! It's beautiful...but now the question is...Is she quilt worthy as Jen says..ahahahhaha
Regina

Michele said...

That could SO happen at my house as well.

Gina said...

That;s exactly like Gemma

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Bizarre Quilter said...

Oh, I love this quilt. "skunk in a blender". perfick!!