Thursday, December 4, 2008

Another story

Turns out I’m not the only dumbass in the family….

My oldest daughter is in her first year at Carleton University and exams started this week: She phones me at 1:20 this afternoon:

Laura: “So….. you know that dream where you sleep in and miss your exam?”

Me: “NO, tell me you didn’t!”

Laura: “Not exactly. Actually I had the wrong date on the calander; I thought it was Dec.10th…… turns out it was at 9:00 this morning. I was AT THE GYM at 9:00 this morning! Walking back to rez I turn on my cell phone and I get a text message that says “Good Luck” from a guy in the same class. Good Luck? What for? OMG!!!!! I run to my room and check the exam schedule and I’ve missed my first exam! It started over an hour ago! I am TOTALLY freaking out! My roommate convinces me to calm down and go to the exam anyways, maybe they’ll let me write for the last hour and a half….. By the time we get there, I’m crying so hard I can’t even talk, my roomie explains to the Professor that I had the wrong date and he agrees to let me write anyways, AND he says he’ll let me write for the full three hours. I start to calm down a little and then he asks if I’ve studied….STUDIED??!!! Are you kidding, I THOUGHT IT WAS NEXT WEEK….. I HAVEN’T EVEN OPENED A BOOK!!!! I’ve been studying for the other three exams I have THIS WEEK! And if that’s not humiliating enough, me bawling my eyes out in front of the ENTIRE class, and the Proctor bringing me tissues every 15 minutes, I was so upset I forgot to turn off my cell phone and it RINGS DURING THE EXAM….. I just want to crawl under a rock now…..You can stop laughing now Mom. Mom! Stop laughing!”

Me: (slightly hystericaI) “I’m sorry honey, but I have this really clear vision of your scholarship money swirling down the drain…..

Laura: “Thanks for the reminder…. plus, the exam was worth 45% of my overall mark, I might not even pass the class! But, I can honestly say I did learn one thing in university…. Crying gets you everything….”

Final note: I felt so bad for her that I just sent her an ‘Exam Stress Buster’ care package through the university (it’s a package with fresh fruit, junk food and coffee shop gift certificates). On the note that comes with it I had them sign it “Crying gets you everything. Love Mom”

2 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Ahahahhahaaa....that's a great story.

Nanci said...

You could tell that at her wedding. very funny story.
Great to have you back to the weather too...lol