Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Back to reality

Well, I’m back. And even though I had fun, it was pretty close to the vacation from hell…. It started with a bad cold two days before we left (which I STILL have) and ended up with me, flying ‘ass over tea kettle’ down a moving sidewalk in the airport on the way home. In between, I saw three great shows (yes, I love Donny Osmond and am not afraid to admit it!), had a minor bout with food poisoning, and a cab ride from hell that finished with Carol and I leaving the guys in the cab and running down Las Vegas Blvd in heels so that we wouldn’t miss the Donny and Marie show (not a pretty picture…. I’m not exactly Carrie Bradshaw in a pair of high heels….).

The highlight reel of the trip definitely had to be at the airport in Toronto. Hubby and I are at one of the moving sidewalks and there’s a family in front of us with three small children. Mom and the two boys get on the sidewalk and Dad and the little girl are in front of me and DH, and there’s NO WAY the little girl is going to step onto the sidewalk (she was probably two years old, maybe three). Well Dad can’t carry her because he has two suitcases on wheels that he’s dragging, and the little girl is frozen at the sidewalk and there’s a whole bunch of people behind us and he can’t back up or get out of the way. SO… I decide to be the good Samaritan and say to Dad, “pick up your little girl and leave the suitcase behind, and I’ll bring the suitcase…” Sounds reasonable, right? WRONG!!!! Turns out the suitcase is actually a tool box on wheels that must have weighed well over a 100 lbs…. I step onto the sidewalk and grab the case, only the case is so heavy that it doesn’t move…. But I’m already moving… Wham! I fell flat on my butt, then I had to get up and run back and grab both suitcases, I fell again, finally, DH helps me get both cases onto the sidewalk and he’s got this huge grin on his face when he says “OMG, I wish I had a camera!” Nice, honey, real nice…..

What a week.

Moving on, I spent two hours (yes, TWO HOURS) fighting with the tension on my quilting machine last night. I’ve had Courtney’s quilt on the frame since before the vacation, but somehow I managed to screw up the tension so badly that I had to give up and leave it. User error of course. It’s fixed now, but there were a few expletives thrown around last night before I got it fixed….

3 comments:

Linda said...

Ow! Sounds like a rough time! And then to have tension problems is just adding insult to injury!
Lurking Linda

swooze said...

You tried! I hope you weren't hurt too badly. Glad you got the machine tension sorted out.

Nanci said...

very funny post. great description. wellcome back...lol