Monday, April 6, 2009

Getting ready for Retreat....

I decided it was time to actually start getting stuff ready for the retreat (less than 3 weeks to go!) so on Friday I started by prewashing the batik fq's (I have gotten away from prewashing lately, but these really dark batiks make me nervous, and the background is really light, so I didn't want to take a chance). Then I dug out a basket quilt kit from Connecting Threads I purchased, oh, about two years ago... and cut all the pieces out. I also started sewing on the basket handles, so I only have to piece the baskets and assemble the quilt top at the retreat. I've never used bias strips before, next time (if there is one) I'm going to invest in a bias bar to make it a little easier to make the strips. I cut a template out of plastic to use for the placement, instead of tracing the placement line on. I managed to finish 8 on the weekend.... 12 more to go.






I also stopped at fabricland to pick up some notions (is it me, or do pins evaporate over time??? maybe they grow legs and scurry away like little insects...) either way, my supply of pins was drastically low and I wanted to buy more bobbins so that I can bring a whole bunch to retreat already wound. Look at the nifty little case I picked up for my bobbins! Isn't it cute? Is has little foam holders so the bobbins fit in nice and snug and don't bounce around .... (sorry, it doesn't take much to amuse me...)
Speaking of the pins, I haven't been able to locate fork pins at any of the LQS in my area, so I'm going to try and get some when I'm in Ohio for the retreat, they look like they work well.

The last picture is a sneak peek at a UFO I dug out to keep me busy until retreat time, because I don't want to start anything new until then.....

6 comments:

Moneik said...

Pins do evaporate, but they also get replaced regularly at my house. Once it won't go through fabric, it gets thrown out and every year or two I replace them all. They get dull and damaged just like needles. I started getting things ready for retreat yesterday! I'm so excited.

Nanci said...

Whew, I'm tired just reading all that you have been doing! I love those basket handles. Very cute and they make a statement.
Well lots of sales at Fabricland this week and I am heading over there too. I need more dots fabric to finish it.
I hope there is room in the car for you...you've got a lot of things to take...

Jen said...

I'm a big fan of fork pins! We have them at the shop I work at. Did you want me to pick up a pack so you know for sure you have them? They're $9/50 pins.

jillquilts said...

We have the pins at my shop too! And I am sure that you will find them in the shops down here.

Love the baskets! You were very productive!! Way to go and keep it up!

Peggy said...

I don't know what fork pins are or what a UFO is. I wish we had fabricland near Detroit. All we have is JoAnn

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Two weeks! I'm giddy! Love the baskets! I haven't seen those bobbin holders here. Great idea! Did I mention two weeks to go? Hehehehee